Welsh Welsh Language and Culture events 2017
- 4th Take Your Child to the Library Day
- 11th RBS 6 Nations- Wales v England
- 12th Ras Cors Caron Half Marathon at Tregaron
- 17th Noson Comedi / Welsh Language Comedy at Theatr Felinfach
- 5th Jones o Gymru Anglesey Half Marathon 10th RBS 6 Nations- Wales v Ireland
- 25th Mumbles Duathlon at Mumbles
- 30th BANFF Mountain Film Festival 2017 at St David’s Hall
- 7th- 9th RHS Flower Show, Cardiff
- 15th Judgement Day V Cardiff Blues take on the Ospreys & Newport Gwent Dragons v Scarlets
- 19th – 23rd Chepstow Annual Walking Festival Explore the wonderful countryside of Monmouthshire and the Wye Valley
- 28th – 30th The Machynlleth Comedy Festival The festival has gained a reputation as a hidden gem, this year featuring as-seen-on-TV comedy acts such as Stewart Lee.
Famous Welsh Speakers Quiz
Did you know? The Welsh language is spoken by around 19% of the population.
How many famous Welsh speakers can you think of? Here are just a few...
This is a Welsh actor and director. Born in Newport, Wales, the only son of Irene (Thomas) and Meyrick. The charming, curly-haired actor grew up a middle-class boy in the working-class town of Port Talbot, Wales. Port Talbot’s iconic steelworks is currently under threat, and this actor has supported his local community fighting for the very future of British steel.
This famous ‘Paralympian’ was born with a medical condition that stopped her from walking and running. Being in a wheelchair did not stop her becoming a champion in athletics. She took part in four Paralympic Games. She won 11 gold medals. She won the London Marathon six times. After she retired from racing, she went on helping disabled sports people. Her story inspires many people to take part in sport.
This male was noted for his baritone voice and talent for acting, he was born in the village of Pontrhydyfen, Neath Port Talbot. Establishing himself as a great Shakespearean actor in the 1950s, he won a BAFTA, a Golden Globe and a Tony Award for Best Actor later in his career. He is buried in Switzerland, where he lived in the later years of his life.
This female is a Welsh singer, songwriter, author, and broadcaster. She was a founding member of Welsh rock band Catatonia and a leading figure in the “Cool Cymru” movement of the late 1990s.
Famous Welsh Speaker 1: Michael Sheen
Famous Welsh Speaker 2: Tanni Grey Thompson
Famous Welsh Speaker 3: Richard Burton
Famous Welsh Speaker 4: Cerys Matthews
Information for Learners and Employers
Would you like to find out more about our approach to Equality and Diversity, ESDGC (Education for Sustainable Development
and Global Citizenship), Welsh Language or about becoming more involved in how we can meet your needs.
To Access our Learner Portal Click Here and to Access our Employer Portal Click Here.